Helen's Journey at RSPCA OpShop - A Story of Transformation, Support and rebuilt Confidence
Hello, Can you introduction yourself for our readers?
- Helen: Yes, my name’s Helen. I work at the RSPCA Opt Shop at Stones Corner.
How long have you been there?
- Helen: I’ve been there for roughly about six months now.
What do you love about your job?
- Helen: It’s the excellent team and the management. They have given me a good intake into running the store and have always been there for me.
What’s your current role?
Have you always been the manager?
- Helen: No, I started about six months ago, on December 5th. I started as a regular staff member and was promoted to manager.
How do you find dealing with the public?
- Helen: I enjoy interacting with the public. It’s rewarding when customers turn around and say what a beautiful shop we have and how much it has changed over these months. Knowing that the money we raise goes directly to needy animals makes my day.
Can you tell me about your background before the RSPCA?
“I was a mum and a grandma but personally, I was feeling insignificant and very low.”
- Helen: Before the RSPCA, I was a mom and a grandma. While I felt like I had important roles in the world, I also felt down and insignificant. That’s when I met Tracey at TURSA, who understood me and showed me the path not to give up. She encouraged me and sent me for this job interview at RSPCA. I am grateful for her support and inspiration.
What are some practical things that Tracey did to help you?
- Helen: Tracey provided immense support and guidance. She helped me with my mental well-being and made me believe in myself. She also supported me with technology, helping me improve my skills. Without her and the support and my coworkers, I wouldn’t have come this far.
Can you share some other supports that were available to you?
- Helen: The RSPCA team has been there whenever I needed anything. They provided training opportunities, and my colleagues David, Cassie, and Amy have been incredibly supportive. With their help, I have gained confidence and improved my skills.
- Helen: I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to Tracey for everything she has done for me. She has inspired me to believe in myself and turn my life around. Now, as the manager at RSPCA OpShop at Stones Corner, I feel confident, motivated, and ready to give my best in everything I do.