Tursa Employment & Training in partnership with Many Rivers Regional Housing in Port Macquarie has recently helped Kathy secure employment as a finance officer. It’s a role she never expected to have, but she’s enjoying the challenge and feeling confident in her abilities. However, it wasn’t an easy journey for Kathy to get to this point. She had been unemployed since 2011, taking time off work to care for her son and then transitioning into community work for 10 years. When her husband’s health issues required her to return to the workforce, Kathy struggled to find employment in a culturally supportive environment.
Despite facing challenges, Kathy persevered and found support through Leslie Williams who helped continue the work Kathy had started and, with TURSA. This was a major turning point for her, as she was able to work with a group that understood her cultural background and found an organisation as well that supported her efforts to revive the language and cultural practices of the Aboriginal community in the area.
Kathy credits TURSA with being instrumental in her success, providing the cultural support she needed and helping her secure a position that aligns with her skills and interests. She encourages others facing similar challenges to seek out resources and support to help them achieve their goals.
Overall, Kathy’s journey is a testament to the power of perseverance and the importance of having a supportive community. Her story serves as an inspiration to anyone struggling to find employment and highlights the critical role that organizations like TURSA play in helping individuals overcome barriers and achieve their dreams.
Taree, New South Wales offers a variety of attractions and highlights for visitors. Some of the must-see sights and experiences in Taree include:
- Manning River: This beautiful river winds through Taree and is perfect for fishing, boating, and other water-based activities.
- Wingham Brush Nature Reserve: This protected area is home to various wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, and bird species. Visitors can take a guided walk and learn about the local flora and fauna.
- Taree Art Society Gallery: This gallery showcases the work of local artists and is a great place to learn about the area’s artistic heritage.
- Rainbow Beach: This stunning beach is just a short drive from Taree and is a great place to relax and soak up the sun.
- Tinonee Heritage Museum: This museum showcases the history of Taree and the surrounding area, including Indigenous and colonial history.