If you haven’t had a job for a long time, here are 7 steps you can take to improve your chances of finding employment.
Get prepared to land that Job!
- Update your resume and cover letter to reflect your current skills and experience. Be sure to highlight any relevant education, training, or volunteer experience you may have. See TURSA’s 9 step guide to assist you.
- Look for available vacancies on local job sites such as TURSA’s Jobs Vacancy Board. Network with other people in your . These can be great resources for finding job opportunities and getting advice from people who have been in your situation.
- Consider taking classes or getting additional training to improve your skills and make yourself more attractive to employers. This could be anything from taking a course on a specific software program to getting a certification in a particular field. TURSA is a Registered Training Organisation and offers a range of upskilling opportunties.
- Be persistent and proactive in your job search. Don’t be afraid to apply for jobs even if you don’t have the required qualifications. Sometimes, employers are willing to train the right candidate. Read this article about getting “Back in the Game”
- Be prepared for job interviews by practicing your answers to common interview questions, and by researching the company and the position you are applying for. This will help you feel more confident and prepared when you go in for the interview. Check out this article from TURSA on Acing the Job Interview.
- When preparing for a job interview, it is important to dress in a way that is professional and appropriate for the job you are interviewing for. This means wearing clothing that is clean, well-fitting, and in good condition. Avoid wearing clothing that is too revealing, too casual, or that has tears or stains. Additionally, make sure your shoes are clean and in good condition. Overall, the goal is to dress in a way that shows you are serious about the job and that you respect the company and the interviewer – Check out our page on what to wear at an interview
- Be open to different types of job opportunities, even if they are outside of your usual field. Sometimes, taking a job in a different field can be a good way to gain new skills and experiences that can help you in your long-term career.